Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Modeling Belief Strategies




Let's say you admire a person's emuna, their rock-solid faith in G-d - especially during difficult times. By interviewing that person and asking the right questions you can determine their strategy for maintaining their high level of faith in G-d. Then you can just start doing it yourself and getting the same results. 

For example:

"Sam this may sound like a strange question but what is it that you BELIEVE that makes you a person of such strong faith?" Now if Sam is humble and he probably is if you admire his faith he may say something like "Well, I don't know, I guess I'm just lucky." If this is his response you'll have to probe further. Ask "Well, Sam if you did know what you believe that makes you a person of faith what might it be?" The question if you did know allows him to go beyond his conscious awareness and bring up beliefs that he truly has, but is not currently conscious of. You might even have to ask the question once or twice more if he continues to say "I don't know." But with persistence and curiosity added to the compliment that you are giving him about admiring his strong faith he will eventually come out with a belief like "Well I guess every time that I look at my Rabbi or hear his voice I think to myself 'What a great person he is; every aspect of my life has changed due to his positive influence. I'd do anything to be like him." Now you've got Sam's "strategy" which you can use on yourself.

Blessings for a great day1
Dr. Zev Ballen